Thursday, June 6, 2019

We Only Have Today

It has been a long time since I have told my story. Life has a way of being full and making extras like writing feel hard to find time for. I also feel less profound and more mundane as my cancer progresses. That is paradoxically, also not true. I have a profound life despite so many near brushes with death. Humbly, I also suspect that my skill for writing is gone due to brain radiation, but I know that is a silly reason not to try.

I am now more engaged with death than I have ever been. In fact the last weekend in April, I spend with 13 other close friends and family planning my memorial service. It was a profound and life changing weekend for everyone involved. We all celebrated ourselves and each other as living, dying beings. We were able to really see and appreciate how we had mutually imprinted on each other and the legacies that we will forever carry from each other. Wow. Everyone deserves that gift. To know their imprint and legacy. And to tell others how they have impacted us.

I noticed that each person gave me a unique gift and reflected back to me a similar if not the same mutual gift. Our individual unique friendships had unique gifts- from wild adventures, to being our greatest teachers, to having the best sense of humor, to being a great listener, to helping each other survive hardship. My friends and family give and receive similar gifts. I am not sure if this is true for others, but it felt like a profound insight. The weekend really bonded these beloveds and everyone took on various leadership roles for my memorial so that no one gets too over burdened with work. We have a flexible plan. It is beautiful. I feel honored to get to be part of what is going into it.

I have also entered in to more formalized relationships with beloveds--I have a death doula, Willow and she has been an immense support. I have a core team of supporters who meet weekly via phone. We are both giving and receiving support and forging deep bonds with people who have not all known each other. I trust that this weekly time together will make my afterlife celebration a very connected experience with much deeper relationships between people and much of the grief work already actively happening.

I have had a couple tough years. Still, I have exceeded my prognosis by leaps and bounds. Honestly, it is a miracle I don't understand. I have seen most of my close (online) cancer friends die. I currently am living with three terminal diagnoses (stage iv lung cancer, LMD (cancer in spinal fluid), and cancer in the sac surrounding my heart--each notorious for recurrence.) I have another life threatening diagnosis (recurring blood clots in legs and lungs). I have had four brain surgeries including whole brain radiation which many people choose not to do because side effects are pretty intense. I was given a 20% chance to live a year when I did whole brain radiation in spring 2018, I was given a six month (at most) prognosis when I had cancer around my heart in December 2018. I was given a 1-4% chance to live to this age with stage iv lung cancer. Trust me, I do not know how or why I have pulled through so many near death experiences. But I will keep rolling with the miracles as long as they keep coming.

It is impossible for me not to both engage with life and death when faced with health and statistics like this. The truth is, it has given me a level of liberation--I really only have today for sure. We all know this is true, but I am deeply and actively living every day with this reality front and center. I rarely make plans past next week. If I plan a trip, I always buy insurance and I have had to cancel several trips.  I enjoy the day to day joys and beauties. I read about death and collect poems, prayers, and photos. I am writing little memory books to my kids. I am letting pictures be taken and posted regardless of how I look. I am finding joy. I am living my best life, and I am dying.

It is not all easy. It has been almost five years of my friends and family on this roller coaster ride that we all know is leading to an early death for me (save a cure in the very near future). I can't begin to imagine how impossible that is for everyone, but my kids especially. We have had social workers tell us that the chances were very slim that I would leave the hospital alive. I am asking so many beloveds to hold so much with me, and this crap is exhausting.

For right now, I am appreciating the trees outside my house. They are beautiful. I can smell lilacs from next door. The weather is perfect. A good day to be alive. I am so glad to be sharing this life with each of you. xo

21 comments:

  1. What are miracles? I think of the people in my life - my wife, my son - are miracles for me. I think of how you've been a miracle for so many. I can count some miracle moments you've given me. I'm glad you're living, and I'm amazed at how engaged you are with your dying. I honor your leadership - yet again you lead - and I mourn your passing. And I'm hoping for a few more good days, and maybe some time to share with you! Blessed be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d love connection with you. Thank you for these kind words. Much love. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this update and the unique perspective that only you can provide. It is a miracle and that is not a small thing, it's a glorious, fucking amazing thing (well actually things since I'd say there's been more than one). I feel blessed to have you as part of my chosen family and am honored to be here and to know that I will carry forward all that I've been taught to share with your kids, your other beloveds and for myself. Indeed, it is a good day to be alive and to love you. - Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too. Chosen family forever. ❤️

      Delete
  4. I love you tremendously, Colleen. I love how you live your life and die your death each day. Thank you for being, and for continuing to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (This was Eli. I really thought it was going to say that when it published.)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Eli. I love you too. We really need to get together soon. Xo

      Delete
  5. You are a marvel. Embrace the people and experiences you can for as long as it makes sense to you. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading this beautiful, loving, open, honest post from you and thinking about how much you mean to me, our friendship, our shared adventures and experiences, and how you have been my teacher in many ways. Love you fiercely every day! And I'm so happy you are smelling the lilacs! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Eli, I assumed my name would show up - this is Max :-)

      Delete
  7. Colleen, you are my Warrior in all ways, always. I can't wait to spend time with you and your family. I think about your kids frequently and know you are leaving nothing unsaid. All my love and joy to you. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I am living my best life and I am dying." Wow! Thank you for yet another gem to consider. What a blessing you are to me and to this wide community you help weave together. Love and Love, U.B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are truly amazing! Our lives seem to go in different (yet similar) directions and I have never made the three block trip to your house. Yet the day not long ago you and Willow showed up on my doorstep, I felt my heart burst wide open as I looked into your smiling faces and it was all I could do not to let the “holy water” flow and wrap you up in my arms! I love you Colleen, and I hope to see you here in this realm before I see you at the Roadhouse of the Dead! May every step on your journey be blessed!❤️ Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Lets make that happen. I have felt your understanding, love, and support throughout this journey. I love you!

      Delete
  10. I'm so grateful we re connected if only by phone so far... You are teaching me much about how to live with my cancer and having kids while living through this. You are strength that I needed to see and hear testify to this awful disease as it is so new to me. How to handle it with Love and grace as each day truely is a blessing to be a part of this life and all those who touch it. Your writing is impeccable as always as is your strength... Love to you and yours Colleen! XO, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Love you and looking forward to building connection and support with you.

      Delete
  11. I'm new to this and hope my comment lands in the comments and not as a reply to previous comments from others? ❤

    ReplyDelete