Tuesday, May 24, 2011

words that have come to me

"I would not be the overlord of a single blade of grass, that I might be its sister.  I put my face close to the lily, where it stands just above the grass, and give it a good greeting from the stem of my heart."  -Mary Oliver

"As the fish swims freely in the vastness of the seas, as the bird soars boldly in the vastness of the air, so I feel my spirit roaming free in the depths and heights and immensity of love."  -Beatrice of Nazareth, c. 1200-68

"The universe was not made in jest but in solemn incomprehensible earnest.  By a power that is unfathomably secret, and holy, and fleet.  There is nothing to be done about it but ignor it or see.  And then you walk fearlessly eating what you must and growing wherever you can."  -Annie Dillard

To live is to change, to aquire the words of a story, and that is the only celebration we mortals really know." -Barbara Kingslover

""Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a foreign language . . .Live the questions now.  Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually live your way into the answer."  -Rainer Maria Rilke

"The first duty of love is to listen" Paul Tillich

"Listening helps foster trust." T Thorn Coyle

"The armor we errect around our soft hearts causes a lot of misery.  But don't be decieved, its very transparent." -Pema Chodron

"Live by the harmless untruths that make you kind and brave and healthy and happy."  Kurt Vonnegut

xo

1 comment: